View Single Post
Old 01-05-2015, 08:14 PM   #993
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by trichobezoar View Post
A lot depends on the oils used while cooking and the amount of salt, sugar, processed ingredients and chemicals a food product/meal contains. According to my research, food cooked with organic coconut oil, sesame oil or olive oil is healthier. Food cook with processed vegetable oils or lard--not so healthy. Chili and burritos that are made with quite a bit of salt and low quality meat that contains chemicals isn’t really healthy. Chorizo (Mexican sausage) is made of low quality, mystery meat and, even though it's delicious, it's not healthy. Beans made with lots of salt and processed vegetable oil... For a relatively fit person with a healthy immune system--salty, refried beans made with Canola oil isn't a big deal, but for one who is suffering from some sort of malady, it is/could be.

Mexican food that is high in fat, sodium and calories, and uses less of the fresh, nutrient-packed ingredients is unhealthy Mexican food.

A few examples of really unhealthy, traditional Mexican food:

Refried beans with chorizo
Tamales made with lard
Anything made with lard for that matter (We used to live off of lard. Yuck.)

*doing google search* And a few examples of unhealthy, Mexican restaurant food:

Taco Bell: Nachos Bell Grande--760 calories and 39 grams of fat
Chipotle's: Beef Burrito--1,026 calories and 46 grams of fat
Baja Fresh: Steak quesadilla--1,450 and 86 grams of fat
Rubio's Fresh Mexican Grill: Carne Asada Taco with rice and beans--710 calories and 22 grams of fat

These are just a few examples... I'm sure I'll think of more as time goes by.
Ok gotcha. Processed anything, fast food anything, is unhealthy, I agree. Traditional Mexican made with excess pork/lard/chemicals/meats of questionable origin is the unhealthy stuff. I avoid that too.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote