View Single Post
Old 05-10-2018, 10:04 PM   #37
fireattack
fireattack began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
The newer versions of Kindle for PC/Mac use the same set of file extensions regardless of the actual format that each book is in. For books in KFX format this plugin will definitely process .azw.res files, because that is the only place that images are held in that format.

However, many books are still delivered in the older MOBI and KF8 formats. Those formats are handled natively by calibre and this plugin has nothing to do with them.

Those MOBI and KF8 books sometimes have an associated .azw.res file that contains HD images in a similar way to the .azw6 files used on e-ink Kindle devices. Calibre ignores those files and I do not know of any method to combine them with the rest of the book. (Software for dumping the contents of these files can be found here.)

Again, the KFX Input plugin has nothing to do with this issue.
Thanks! That makes sense. I guess I'm confused by this article a little bit, and mistakenly thought simply azw+zaw.res=kfx.

Thank you for clearing it up, and that py2 script works wonderfully.

One thing I want to add, though, is that I originally tried Kindle 1.1.7 (for avoiding kfx), and I did get a different result after re-downloading the book - same azw without res file at all. This further convinced me it's kfx lol.

Last edited by fireattack; 05-10-2018 at 10:10 PM.
fireattack is offline   Reply With Quote