View Single Post
Old 06-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #1
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Ebook Buying Addicts' Support Thread

I'm addicted to buying ebooks. My TBR list currently contains about 440* ebooks. It has been two days since I last bought an ebook.

I'm hoping to get to the end of June (baby steps!) without buying any more ebooks.

If anyone else would like to join in in this attempt, please add your own target in a comment.

EDIT, June 2012, April 2014, June 2019, April 2020, April 2021:

In this thread we've come up with some simple guidelines to help us resist the purchase of too many new ebooks.
  • Add to wish list rather than buying
  • Only buy if on special offer and on your wish list
  • Only exception is most recent in series by favourite authors.
  • Compare the prospective purchase with the rest of your TBR. Do you want to read it more than 50% of your TBR? If not, don't buy.
  • Reading a series? Don't buy the next release until you've finished all the rest, unless it's 90% off or more.
  • If it's not going to be the very next book you read after your current book, don't buy it. It will almost certainly go on special offer again before you find time to read it.
  • If you have a choice of discounted books (e.g. you have a one-time discount code), buy the book that you most want to read from your wish-list. Do not choose which book to buy based on how much you'll 'save' using the discount code.
  • Quote:
    Originally Posted by issybird View Post
    there’s always another deal.

* This was a significant underestimate. When I started using calibre in 2013 and added all my ebooks to it, I found I had another 422 unread ebooks. Double-checking in 2017 revealed I was still undercounting by 339 books. At the time I started this thread, my TBR was probably somewhere between 1,000 and 1,200!

Last edited by pdurrant; 11-05-2021 at 04:14 AM. Reason: Corrected my 2011 TBR number
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote