View Single Post
Old 01-13-2006, 06:17 AM   #7
Branko Collin
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmeister0
Sentence and paragraph length are style issues, and should be determined more by the content rather than by the medium.
There are many people on this planet who seem to agree with you and who seem to feel that furthermore other such recent inventions as punctuation, capitalization and spelling are nothing more than a fad, part of a large-scale dictatorial repression by the dumb masses of the true artistic expression.

I won't read what these artistes write.

And then there are authors who actually try and reach an audience, rather than create one. These authors will study the bounds of the medium, get to know them, use them extensively in order to be an effective writer, play with them and ultimately cross them in order to find out their true nature.

Quote:
Sure it wouldn't make sense to rewrite a popular paperbook novel.
Why not? Have popular paperbook novels somehow managed to elude the limitations of the ebook format?

I believe by the way that Sadi's point is only valid for web pages and for documents that are displayed on desktop monitors, where reading behaviour is perhaps not well-understood, but at least well-studied. Without knowing more about the medium she is talking about, it is hard to agree or disagree. But I do think it is fair to state that the medium dictates the style.