View Single Post
Old 09-23-2012, 06:08 AM   #192
Nightyume
Addict
Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.Nightyume can see what is invisible to the naked eye.

Device: HTC One, Galaxy Note 10.1, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by clsdclsd View Post
OK, I checked the html files in the 1.9.17's dictionaries (back then these were not encrypted but gzipped), and counted the words - actually counted the < b > tags.

The English monolingual has 79667 records. (the MW Dictionary and Thesaurus for Kindle claimed to has 73000 entries)
The English-German has only 16304. (the MW English-German Dictionary has 19000)

Probably these are not the exact word counts but close. And the dictionaries could be improved in the 2.x firmware but the file sizes are almost identical, so I guess these dictionaries still the same.

BTW, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster (the Collegiate) has 165000 entries.
Translation dictionaries do tend to be more limited.

And you're wrong, the most comprehensive Merriam-Webster is the Unabridged (it's a happy tongue out, not a mocking raspberry, and I'm only clarifying as I'm new and don't want to make a bad first impression)
I have both the collegiate and the unabridged on my cell (and the collegiate on my bookshelf). In my experience, anything less comprehensive than the Collegiate (be it Webster or Oxford or whatnot) is of little value to me personally as the words that tend to stump me aren't in them.

But I will say this, the Merriam Webster (and Random House Webster) dictionaries tend to have good support for the differences between American and British English (unless they're the pocket editions). This support is very useful in Canada as one never knows when we'll favor one over the other
Nightyume is offline   Reply With Quote