View Single Post
Old 11-16-2010, 03:46 PM   #16
twobits
Addict
twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobits ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
1. I had an antenna installed on the house. It is a Winegard HD-1080 that cost me $30 at buy.com. The antenna installation cost me $107.
Over the air tv is these days a better picture in many cases then cable. For cable they take the over the air signal and decompress and reencode it which is of course not lossless. So having an antenna in many cases is a great idea even for those who don't want to 'cut the cord' just yet.

http://antennaweb.org/aw/welcome.aspx is a good place for people in the USA at least to find out just what type of antennas will work for them, what direction they will need to point it and what they can expect to pick up.

I also like the hdhomerun tuner so I can watch tv on computers anywhere in the house.

Quote:
2. I called and canceled my TV service. I was paying $135 a month to Verizon for Phone/TV/Internet. I was getting no premium content and I had 20/5 internet and a phone with no long distance or other goodies. I moved to a "FiOS Double play" which includes a Freedom Essentials phone service w/ caller id, call waiting, three-way calling, voice mail, etc. and 25/25 internet. This is $84.99 a month plus fees/taxes and I went for the 2-year commitment so that price will be the same for two years. I was going to drop the landline too.. but the internet price without any bundle was only $5 less than getting the phone bundled with it. So, $5 for the phone is worth it.
Your offers seems a bit different then what my parents where getting. They got tempted to get the tv/phone/inet bundle recently. It was $119 if I remember right, instead they got the 15/5 plan for $55 a month and then netflix for another $9 a month.

Quote:
3. I set up uTorrent's RSS downloader to pull down TV shows that I can't record from the antenna. I found a great web site that custom creates an RSS feed for you with the shows you want. It is called showRSS. BTW: Only the Windows version of utorrent has the RSS Downloader. But... there are Mac RSS d/l'ers you can get too.
I did not set them up with torrents. Not going to set them up for getting any of those pay up or be sued messages. So far with the antenna and hulu desktop on an htpc, and a roku box for netflix they have not seemed to want anything else.

Quote:
4. I have been using pyTivo running on my Mac so I can watch the downloaded shows on my TiVo attached to my HDTV. This works pretty well but is one item I want to upgrade.
May be able to use freevo since it is in python so should run on a mac.

You might also want to add hulu desktop into your mix, running that on an htpc.

Quote:
4. Blockbuster DVD by mail. We can have 3-movies out at a time... and we can turn in a mailed one to the store and get a movie from the store 5 times a month. We might move to Netflix so we can get the streaming though... however I hear that Sony just stopped allowing them to stream Sony movies in HD.
You still get the dvd's by mail with netflix and the streaming in addition to that. With the roku box and starting at $9 a month I find it a hard deal to beat.
twobits is offline   Reply With Quote