View Single Post
Old 05-10-2017, 01:45 AM   #1
E.M.DuBois
Connoisseur
E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.E.M.DuBois ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S9+
Has anyone else's work attracted trolls?

Anyone want to hear something funny? While I was marketing my novel across Twitter, someone took issue with me. Not because of the grammatical and spelling errors in my novel, or even the subject matter of my story. “She” took issue with my name. And not even that it’s the same as an author of erotica who is also on Twitter, or anything else connected to writing or authorship. But because of the fact I capitalized both the D and the B in my name, she said I was impersonating royalty.

I kinda liked the troll. I mean, my novel hasn’t sold a single copy yet, and I’ve already got haters. I thought that’s only happen if I made it big. Isn’t that when others are supposed to feel resentful of my accomplishment? I find this encouraging, personally. Instead of going after my story or my amateur writing-voice, she went after me personally.

I understand not many of you may agree with my feelings, and might chastise me for giving this troll the time of day, and bad-press isn’t what publishing is about, and success shouldn't be admired or measure by the amount of "haters" one lures. (My mom gave me somewhat the same lecture when she showed me how to sign-up for a roleplaying site she had joined over a decade before, and I had gotten into a competition about who knew more about Star Wars force-lightning.)

Please share your stories with me. Anyone else on here felt backlash of any kind for publishing your work? What did you do to overcome it, if it was worth overcoming instead of outright ignoring? Or maybe you just want to give me the same lecture as my mother did years ago, that’s fine, too.
E.M.DuBois is offline   Reply With Quote