View Single Post
Old 04-10-2010, 07:38 AM   #3
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
Nvidiot, DealExtreme has SOOOO many adapters and are SOOOO cheap! Which one is the product you use and how much was it?

The Energizer ETG retailed for nearly $30 when it first went on sale. For this humongously higher price, I can only hope the ETG had (at least) a higher quality finish. Maybe the exorbitant price is why the product failed and is now on closeout.

When I first researched doing an emergency charger, I thought of trying to put 4AA cells together to get 6V, but the lack of an internal regulator feeding these sensitive electronics really bothered me. If I had built my own voltage regulator, it would have cost me lots more than the $15 I paid for my first ETG. I'm still happy to have it though. It saved me from junking a 505 reader that was frozen and no longer recharging from the USB port.

If anyone wants to build my project, if you can find an ETG for $1 and can do simple soldering, it is totally worth it. Buy one to recharge your cell phone and convert one of the extra adapters (they usually come with 2 or 3 adapters) to recharge the reader.

Last edited by BBRags; 04-10-2010 at 07:42 AM.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote