View Single Post
Old 02-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #57
joblack
Wizard
joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joblack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Boox Tab X
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmdahler View Post
I suppose you could put some of the blame on the parents or the educational system if you really stretch, but in the end, how hard is it to look at your paycheck to figure out if you can afford what you are purchasing and set up a budget? Pretty much anyone with half a brain and a modicum of self-restraint could figure that one out for themselves. I hear people go on about "no one ever taught me how to manage money" and I marvel that that person somehow manages to remember to breathe every few seconds. 2 + 2 = 4 is about the only level of math that is required to manage simple finances, and I am reasonably confident most people who get past the fourth grade can manage at least that much. I generally view this whole "no one taught me" bit to be yet another attempt to just blame someone else for their own mistakes. "Responsibility" is what these people need education in, not finances.
With 18 I got a credit card limit for 2.000 Euro and with 18 you normally know 'shit' about the world and how it works.

Today I would say yes I understand how it works but it took some suffering to get it (and some people never get it).

I think it's better not be the 'preachy teacher' especially if you don't know how it was when you were young and what not so intelligent things you've done in that era.

Last edited by joblack; 02-20-2010 at 04:41 PM.