View Single Post
Old 06-09-2009, 10:18 AM   #43
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by epiphany View Post
The term boycott has the negative connotation of making a demand. I don't think this is what stisev intended. I believe he was expressing the fact he's going to refrain from using calibre unless a change is made - not that he is expecting it to be made just for him.

Kovid is well aware that some people dislike calibre's file structure and has made it clear that this isn't going to change any time soon. So if preserving your library structure is crucial to you then at this stage calibre is out of the question. Still, I think it is preferable that people express this fact so that calibre's developers are aware of how important this aspect is to people and can decide whether it is worth changing their program.

I don't have a problem with the OP not liking Calibre or not wanting to use it. That's his/her choice. If he/she stated that they could not use Calibre because they had issues with the directory structure and asked for a workaround (it seems from this thread there are some) or even submitted a "bug" ticket (even though it's not a bug) it would be one thing but the OP chose to "boycott" (their word not mine).

I personally am a light occasional user... I'm just not that anal about organizing books that I'll only read once. As I sated previously for a long time there was no Kindle support and Kovid wasn't keen on adding it, so another developer jumped on it because Kindle owners kept asking for it (no boycotts here). Now Kovid owns a Kindle 2 and has been able to add more Kindle and smart phone friendly features.

Rather than "boycott" a developing (FREE) piece software, maybe keeping one's own system intact while having a separate directory with just a few books for Calibre release testing is the way to go. The OP may never like Calibre or 6 months for now it could be their *must* have software for ebook management.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote