View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 10:25 PM   #17
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Pop_Os!, Jutoh, Kobo Forma
I've been playing with Doitsu's ODTImport plugin for a few weeks now. I've put maybe a dozen freshly OCR'd books through it, after proofing in Writer. Here is the setup:

Make a Writer template file, an .ott file, with the custom styles you normally use.

Make a css file in a text editor that matches the style names in the Writer template. Only for each style, do the epub-ish styling you want. (Example: I have a style in the template called "indent" that makes a paragraph indented and spaced in Writer to make it easy to proof on screen. The "indent" style in the css is styled in ems, not cms, with spacing, margins, and so on to look good on my Kobo.)

Put this text css in the ODTImport plugin directory as "epub.css". It will show up in the imported book as "styles.css", alongside the css file generated by the plugin -- "styles1.css".

Use the .ott template file to make your book, and use only your custom styles. (You may need a new style not in the template, so just add it.)

With this is set up correctly, I can now import a book, simply delete the "styles1.css" made by the import, and have all my custom styles now active in their epub versions. This is amazing! It works so well for me it is hard to believe.

What else though?

--If you have added a new style in your Writer doc, you need to add it to the "styles.css". It will show up in "styles1.css" but with dimensions and whatever Writer had.

--Images will need attention. The import is pretty crude. I have some image styles using width % and height=auto in my epub.css, so a little search and replace can fix them easily.

All this saves so much time and effort compared to other methods I have used, I am just amazed.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote