Thread: Worst Book
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2012, 09:29 AM   #156
JohnGalt
Enthusiast
JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JohnGalt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx M92
Quote:
Originally Posted by tompe View Post
On the other hand Dagney Taggart was not a real character since Rand in that book at least wrote "simple cartoon characters" making the book one of the worst books I have tried to read.
That is true. I like Ayn Rand more than Dickens as I find her interesting. However, it is true that she is not a great novelist in terms of story enjoyment, character development, plot development, etc. Rand's works don't really compare well to the typical novel. They don't classify well into any genre - her "novels" wouldn't fit intp philosophy, but they certain don't hold a lot of appeal were you to gut the philosophical from them. They're closer to allegories. While I enjoy Ayn Rand, I can certainly understand how someone looking for an enjoyable story would be disappointed or frustrated with her work.

You're right though - her characters are cartoons.
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote