View Single Post
Old 04-08-2008, 12:06 PM   #58
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgrimm View Post
There is plenty of software that is "free," and not paid for by advertising of any kind.
I didn't say that there isn't "plenty" of software that is free. I said "most" software is NOT free.

It is also true that most free/open source is general and or developer driven. Also, may developers that work on BSD, Apache, Linux etc are paid!

Quote:
The BSD's, for example- best operating systems that exist. BSD also serves as a base for Mac OSX.
Case in point, Apple developers are PAID to work on BSD even though the software is available for free. Novell developers are paid to work on Linux. I believe JBoss has many devs on staff who's code goes into the Apache code base.

Quote:
How about Apache? You could class all of these as "business" software. Apache, the "free" webserver, is used by many more websites than IIS. In fact, you might say Apache runs the web.
First, Apache "used by many more web sites" is not necessarily true. http://www.search-this.com/2007/06/2...o-serves-more/ It depends on how you count.

Also, no Apache and BSD are NOT Line-of-business software... they are OS/Platform apps. Yes, they are used in business. When I said "line-of-busines" I mean, Payroll, Accounting, HR, CRM, Warehousing, Dispatching, Logistics, Fixed Assests, Bank Software, Insurance software, Mortgage Company software, etc.

Quote:
In the field of software, I don't think anyone can make the claim that sales price is related to quality.
Did I make that claim? I don't think so.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote