View Single Post
Old 04-05-2008, 10:49 AM   #50
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
I like Matt Stone and Trey Parker's line of thinking. Here's part of an interview they did with Reason Magazine at the end of '06.
Quote:
Stone: We’re always in favor of people downloading. Always.

Reason: Why?

Stone: It’s how a lot of people see the show. And it’s never hurt us. We’ve done nothing but been successful with the show. How could you ever get mad about somebody who wants to see your stuff?

Parker: We worked really hard making that show, and the reason you do it is because you want people to see it.
I wish more artists thought this way. I think it's the only proper way to look at the internet right now. If you don't embrace the open sharing of information, you're just going to be frustrated and flounder in an evolving market. In the latest South Park episode, Trey Parker had Kyle sum up the current state of business on the internet fairly well.
Quote:
"You know, I learned something today. We thought we could make money on the internet. But while the internet is new and exciting for creative people, it hasn't matured as a distribution mechanism to the extent that one should trade real and immediate opportunities for income for the promise of future online revenue. It will be a few years before digital distribution of media on the internet can be monetized to an extent that necessitates content producers to forego their fair value in more traditional media."
I certainly don't think publishers and authors will have much to worry about for a while. And even as online distribution of books grows, paper books will still be popular.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote