View Single Post
Old 07-31-2009, 03:04 PM   #2
lunohod
OpenInkpot developer
lunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toyslunohod shares his or her toys

Device: N516,V3,PRS505,iLiad,eSlick,E60,K3,K4NT,M90,PB912,KoboMini
Quote:
Originally Posted by vdevan View Post
Being new to Linux environment (from a long standing Window background), I would like to start helping the developing and contributing to OI. I have downloaded and using the OI which I like it - the best one yet.
Thanks!

Quote:
Few things that should be looked into:
GSUB of open type fonts which I have already raised ticket and requested to look into.
The solution would be to use pango - text rendering library. However, FBReader in OI doesn't use pango due to speed issues while rendering simple scripts. Someone should try to benchmark pango and improve rendering speed.

Quote:
XPDF viewer. Latest LBOOK Beta release has a very good PDF viewer. I think it is the best so far for the E-Book readers. Can we port this into OI?
It is based on closed-source and proprietary adobe sdk.
In OI you could use poppler or muPDF libraries to render pdf files. It is also possible to implement "text reflow" feature.

Quote:
The text parser, pdf viewer and other parser / viewer (I guess you are using fbreader for this) do not have "goto page" option. Without this, it is very difficult to jump to a page, especially if you are reading a technical book and want to skip few chapters. (Is it available and am I missing it)
According to the User Guide, pressing 2 in FBReader will open "goto page" dialog.

Quote:
However I am unable to extract the file system from OI's V3bin file. Actually I can extract the file systems but unable to mount them. Maybe, if you can help me out, then I can start working on a few things myself before start real contribution.
http://openinkpot.org/wiki/From0To60In5Seconds