View Single Post
Old 06-30-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
parkher
Evangelist
parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.parkher ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BL Alita/Mimas/Ares, OB Note2/Note, KA One/H2O/HD, S PRS T2/T1, PB 902
Now in Calibre 0.9.37 Kobo Aura HD is bundled together with Kobo Vox when selecting driver.
But Vox is not even an e-book reader, it is some LCD toy like iPad.
Isn't Aura closer to Glo - the same firmware and all.

Besides, the resolution is entirely different.
Speaking about resolution, shouldn't I be able to choose an output profile with the resolution of my device?
It might be important, for example, when converting pictures.

Aura HD has 1440 x 1080 resolution. Yet, I am forced to choose Kobo Reader with resolution 536x710
Even if I wanted to chose some other output profile (can I?) there is no similar resolution.

The same situation is with Sony PRS-T1/T2 - I am using landscape orientation with them, but Sony Reader Landscape output profile is for 784x1012 resolution when the resolution of T1/T2 in landscape is 800x600 (as opposed to 600x800)

Is there a way to create a custom output profile where I can set resolution myself?
That would be important also for the stand-alone Calibre converter, I don't see switches to specify output resolution there either and the profiles I need are either missing or with wrong resolution.

I do realize that the specified resolution might have to be lower than the device resolution in specs, especially with Aura where some space at the bottom seems to be not allowed to be used for the actual text of the book. Besides who knows how many pixels are not visible, outside the visible screen, covered by the frame.
So setting custom output resolution is very important.

As I am very new to Calibre, I hope it is possible, I just can't find how to do it.
Again, the stand-alone converter should support custom resolutions as well. I hope it does somehow.

UPDATE:

"Customize plugins" says " plugin does not need customization" for all output profile plugins, even the most generic ones.
That is really strange, where can I set the exact resolution in pixels I want to be used for picture conversions?

As it is now, I do this: I create an epub with Calibre converter, then replace pictures inside it with ones made by me with some picture converting tools.
I do this to preserve details in diagrams - Calibre tends to reduce picture resolutions too much.
I am convinced that I am missing that custom option somewhere, how else?

Last edited by parkher; 06-30-2013 at 09:21 AM.
parkher is offline   Reply With Quote