View Single Post
Old 02-22-2013, 11:44 PM   #4
KentE
...still a Zealot
KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KentE ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pixi & PC
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
The new policy is worse than punishing those who link to free books. If you were to click a link on my blog or in arcdata's thread, that sets a 24 hr cookie (which is what the mega-traffic freebie sites rely upon).

If you then come here and click on tag-less links to free books and purchase them, you'll be adding those free books to the last affiliate's total, possibly causing them not to get paid that month.

If you don't want to do this, be sure to clear your cookies before going to get free books (just "today" may not be enough, if the tag was set the day before -- you need to use "all" to ensure that it is cleared; even that may not be enough, but it's the best you can do).
Thanks for the additional info, Koland (and thanks for your blog, which I really enjoy!) The more details I hear, the worse this sounds.
I appreciate the warning/request added to your signature line, but I'm not sure I would have noticed it anytime soon if this hadn't been brought up in discussions. I'd really hate to do harm to you! (or other sites I like.)

On my drive home, I think maybe a light just came on for me. I've wondered about FreeReadFeed, which seems so similar to EReaderIQ (and someone said they're owned by the same entity, but I didn't understand why they would duplicate their site). Maybe this is EReaderIQ being prepared to distance itself from the "free" recommendations, by setting up dual affiliations? One for "reduced price", one for "free, and we don't have anything to lose"?
Of course, even that wouldn't save them from the "I-do-all-my-book-shopping-in-the-same-time window" guilt by association, as you've explained above.

If any of you who will be affected by this have suggestions about constructive action the rest of us might take (contacting someone at Amazon?), please let us know. I'll try to modify my clicking behavior to avoid damage!

KentE
KentE is offline   Reply With Quote