View Single Post
Old 04-11-2012, 02:52 PM   #68
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaminkatze View Post
I feel like I'm not ready for a cross-compiled language (besides I never really used C).

This is how far I got (with the eips calls, thus same update speed) .
The reason we started using eips in newer scripts is that it was the only way discovered (so far) to update the eink display from a script on the newer kindles (K4 and Touch).

On a K3 and earlier, eips is very slow, but there is a faster way. You can echo characters to the eink /proc files that can do different types of eink updates, some of which are much faster than using eips. This is how all the scripts did eink display updates before the K4 and touch were available.

You might want to use a script function to do the updates:
PHP Code:
#===========================
# eupd - eink update display
#---------------------------
eupd() {
  echo 
>/proc/eink_fb/update_display # (for k3 and earlier)
#  eips '' # (for k4 and newer)
}

# sample eink "update display" call
line $X1 $Y1 $X2 $Y2eupd # update display 
Different numbers written to that /proc do different things. 0 is a clear screen (like "eips -c"). 1 is a fast update. 2 is a full flash update. Obviously, we want the fast update for these scripts.

EDIT: I am now using this eupd function in my new scripts.

Last edited by geekmaster; 04-11-2012 at 03:27 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote