View Single Post
Old 06-06-2011, 02:38 PM   #7
WaltC
Harmonious Grump
WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WaltC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2, Kindle Touch, Nook HD, iPad 3, Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
Are you looking solely at eink readers?
Do you have a preference/commitment to a specific commercial ebookstore?
Are you familiar with deDRM?

If lcd-based devices are an option you might want to look at android tablets.
If you're not afraid of DRM removal, you could then look at several reader apps that allow fine-grained font size control two which (fbreaderj and coolreader 3 ) allow extremely large font sizes in both portrait and landscape. (On a 7in 800x600 screen in landscape, you get five lines of text about a half inch high, depending on font face, on a 10in screen maybe an inch high.)

If you prefer eink readers, the Pocketbook line allows optional installs of fbreader and coolreader with, effectively, no upper limit on font size; on my 5in Pocketbook 360 I have specified text as big as an inch. Realistically, if that size is necessary, you probably want to look at the 902/903.

Other options exist; I believe there is a font hack for Kindles that enables larger font sizes and other second tier reader vendors also allow large font sizes. I expect you'll hear about some models here.

Hopefully you'll find a satisfactory solution soon.
E-ink probably works best with her vision challenges and her preference for light weight. All things being equal, the Amazon store is better because she's comfortable using that. On the other hand, another reader & store is certainly worth considering if they had better support for the vision impaired.

I'll look into the other readers, though I'm having a hard time getting information on largest font size for almost any of the readers.

I like your font hack suggestion-- thanks for that-- I had forgotten about those & presumably they'd work on both her K2 and on the K-DX, if she were to decide to go that way. I'll check into how large the font hack sizes can go.

Thanks!
WaltC is offline   Reply With Quote