View Single Post
Old 10-05-2010, 07:09 PM   #5
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by bill_mchale View Post
On the flip side though, from my own personal experience, I would say that having an ebook reader has actually lead to me reading more than I was before. There are a few other reasons for this.

1. Previously, obtaining books was often done once every few weeks and I had to pick multiple books. Often when I was thinking of starting a new book, none peaked my interest at that moment. Now, I can almost always find something between here, Baen, PG/Manybooks.net/Feedbooks and smashwords.

2. An ebook reader is more convenient to carry around than a hardback or trade paperback. Result, its usually with me.

3. Since ebooks never flip closed by accident, they are great for the Gym, or for places where I might need to stop fairly frequently for brief periods.

--
Bill
Other than point 3 I agree (I don't goto the Gym so I can't comment, I do body pump instead).

Essentially what you have said I feel the same way. Also for me;

- The price of paperbacks in Australia led me to purchase from overseas, leading upto a 2 week delivery wait.
- Ebooks allow me to have a craving for a particular book and get it then and there. I can satisfy my reading urges instantly.
- With instant access I don't need to plan ahead what I am going to read. I buy what I want to read when I want.
- No stock issues. If a book is in ebook form I can buy it then and there. With paperbacks you need to wait for the store/supplier to get more stock in, by then I've usually lost interest.
- Book stores only push selected titles, they don't (well my local) doesn't really stock alot of sci-fi/fantasy/history.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote