Thread: Ayn Rand
View Single Post
Old 06-27-2009, 04:30 PM   #23
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapped View Post
Well, since the topic is "Ayn Rand" and not "Copyright Infringement" I've got to chime in about Atlas Shrugged. I'm almost 500 pages into what is an 1179-page tome on my Sony PRS-505, and I've been wanting to quit each time I finish a chapter. Honestly I've never read such dry prose, stilted dialog - nobody really talks like the monologues the main characters constantly recite to each other, do they? - nor endured such rigid, unchanging characters.

Each of the "good guys" might as well be wearing the white hats, and the bad guys wearing black ones; there's just no nuance at all in these cardboard cutouts! It seems like this lumbering beast of a novel could've been distilled into about 50 or even 100 interesting pages, novella-style, without missing any of the main plot points I've hit so far in nearly the 500 pages I've waded through.
That was why I failed to finish the book. Card board characters does not make you believe more in the philosophical argument. I read to just before the Galt speech but realized that the speech must be pretty bad philosophically if you need this totally unbelievable setup to make people accept the arguments so I did not finish the book.