View Single Post
Old 02-12-2017, 02:34 PM   #28
sun surfer
languorous autodidact ✦
sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sun surfer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: onyx boox poke 2 colour, kindle voyage
I really loved this short story. I read the complete collection it is from, Anecdotes of Destiny, as well as the novella Ehrengard, which two were combined to form the book I bought. Babette's Feast is (of course, since it is so famous) one of the best of the collection. The quality of stories in the collection varies greatly but they mostly all have the similarity of this almost mystical and purposely old-fashioned aura.

Speaking of re-reads, and also the film, which were both brought up in previous posts, this is a digression that is hopefully not over-sharing but I have to say that so far I have very rarely ever re-read (or re-watched) anything, unless I had to back in school. I have had a very good memory and to me it had almost always been utterly boring to revisit even something I'd loved because I'd remembered it too well even years and years later. I think part of it was that I paid very close attention to whatever I was doing; when I watched something I would focus solely on the film while I know many others fidget around, talk and do other things while watching, and when I read I read slowly and deliberately (this is not simply a positive though - I may have remembered more than others but I ended up reading less than others for the time put in). There have been a few times someone would get me to rewatch a film I loved and the feeling of boredom was almost always confirmed (a very few films - I could count them on one hand - with musical numbers or very emotional sections that resonated with me were the exception, and even then only a few viewings total over the years). I could never understand why most people, even ones the same age as me or younger, seemed to like rewatching favourite films or re-reading favourite books over and over but I didn't, though eventually I came to realise that most people didn't remember the details of the stories as well as I did, so each revisit would bring them fresh surprises regardless, while to me it was wasting time with something I knew so well when I could be reading or watching something new.

I'm not drifting into this tangent this to brag though, if it seems like I am (and anyway I've read many, many posts here and there on this site not-bragging about how fast so many posters at MR read, so it's tit for tat I guess even if someone thinks I am bragging ); actually it's quite the opposite for me because it hasn't lasted. Now I am approaching 40. This may seem young enough to some, but it seems old enough to me. The last say three to five years my memory for these types of things has slowly but dramatically decreased. I don't know why. I don't know if it's normal or whatnot - the change seems early and a bit dramatic to me compared to what I had before - but regardless I find I don't remember things like that nearly as well anymore. I'm eating my spinach and such hoping to ward it off but it's already noticeable. Case in point and the reason I've shared this here - Babette's Feast the film, which I watched back in the '90s. I'm sure before the last few years I would've remembered most of the entire film; now I remember very little of it. If I watched it again it would almost be like watching for the first time. Even reading the story didn't bring back memories of the film aside from the few glimpses I already remembered, which this blankness on something I'd read or watched is a new and strange feeling for me. The main discrepancy I remember is, isn't the film set in Denmark? While the short story is set by a fjord on the wild Norwegian coast.

Suffice it to say, it's bittersweet, but with the loss of my sharp ability to recall details of books I'd already read I suppose the gain is the more usual ability to now be able to re-read things I previously liked with fresh enjoyment. They do say to always look on the bright side, no? So perhaps a rewatch of Babette's Feast is in order.

Anyway, on the subject of biblical imagery in the story, I do wonder - do any of you think there are any deliberate similarities between this and the last supper? Besides an important meal between a group of acquaintances I'm not sure I do, but then I wasn't reading the story with that in mind and only thought of the possibility now when reading the thread. And I'm curious- did anyone get the number of people at the feast? I'd like to know if it aligns with the number at the last supper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fantasyfan View Post
I absolutely loved this book. As well as dealing with a number of transcendental themes such as the nature of spirituality, love, art, and life-goals, there were also some gently humorous moments such as Martine's first view of the turtle.

" . . . when set down on the kitchen floor it suddenly shot out a snake-like head . . . Martine had . . . as a child owned a pet tortoise, but this thing was monstrous in size and terrible to behold. She backed out of the kitchen without a word."

Earlier she sees what appears to be (horror) wine. When she queries Babette, this is the response: is

"Wine, Madame! . . . No Madame. It is a Clos Vougeot 1846! . . . From Philippe, in Rue Montorguel."

"Martine had never suspected that wines could have names to them, and was put to silence."

But I believe the book has a deep message about spirituality. The father of the sisters trained his flock that spiritual power was linked to austerity. But Babette creates a world of the spirit through the art of a feast.

"Taciturn old people received the gift of tongues; ears that for years had been almost deaf were opened to it. Time itself had merged into eternity. Long after midnight the windows of the house shone like gold, and golden song flowed out into the winter air."

And again:

"The vain illusions of this earth has dissolved before their eyes like smoke, and they had seen the universe as it really is. They had been given one hour of the millennium."

All of this is tied to the calling of the great artist. It is they who share their vision through their gift. Babette has no more money: she has spent it all to share her transcendent power. But she is not poor.

"No, I shall never be poor. I told you that I am a great artist. A great artist, Mesdames, is never poor. We have something, Mesdames, of which other people know nothing."

Much more can be said. I've only scratched the surface of this beautiful story, but I would also recommend the utterly exquisite Danish film from 1987 which does full justice to the book. It, too, should not be missed.
Yes, yes and yes! Great post, fantasyfan.
sun surfer is offline   Reply With Quote