View Single Post
Old 01-08-2013, 02:50 PM   #15
jdunlap
jdunlap began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HD
Kindle Fire HD...device not detected (Windows XP)

I recently got a Kindle Fire HD after my Kindle Keyboard broke. I am back up and running now, so I went to transfer my Calibre library to it with no luck. Calibre is not able to detect my Kindle Fire HD. I have spent the past two days reading up on this problem and have tried every troubleshooting idea that I could find and my husband did as well...to no avail.

I tried emailing books to my kindle email address, but then learned that this doesn't work with the my Kindle type.

I read where with Windows XP users, the Kindle Fire HD is not recognized on the computer as a letter drive and I confirmed this is the case. Because of this, we can only transfer books wirelessly, for which I would need the Calibre Companion app. So I got the app, but only to find out that this app does not work with the Kindle Fire HD.

I checked to make sure I have Windows Media Player 11, which I do.

I read the thread back in mid-Sept that Kovid posted about this detection issue and the solution was to enable the beta version in Calibre, which I did using his directions for the plugin tweak. My device was still not recognized. Then I kept reading and saw that this solution was for the older version of Calibre and from what I understand, doesn't work with the newer version. I have installed and have been running version 0.9.13 throughout this process.

I am just totally lost and frustrated because I have all of these awesome books just sitting there waiting for me to read and I can't get them on my stinking Kindle! I never had a single issue putting them on my Kindle Keyboard. HELP PLEASE!
jdunlap is offline   Reply With Quote