View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #111
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Right now, I'm finishing up "The Name of the Wind" by Patrick Rothfuss. It's a long book and I've got another hour or two to go. The combination reader/book is excellent. I've got the sequel, "The Wise Man's Fear" on my playlist, but I will probably listen to a couple of other books first, just as a change of pace.

It's interesting how a good reader can enhance a book, but a bad reader almost ruins the experience. One of my favorite series was the Coramonde series by Brian Daley. It came out in audiobook a few months back and is almost painful to listen to. The reader has a very good speaking voice, but his character voices are grating in the extreme. His falsetto for the women and some of the male characters is very hard to listen to for me. It's sad. He would be better off just doing a straight reading rather than try to do character voices.

The Fredrick Forsyth books suffer from a similar issue. The books themselves are great, but the reader has a laconic upper class British accent which sounds to me like the reader is bored with the whole thing.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote