View Single Post
Old 06-09-2011, 01:55 AM   #3
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Ambient brightness: Every time your eye switches from a bright screen (like LCD) to the dimmer ambient room, your eyes adjust which may result in fatigue. With E Ink, the page is the same brightness as everything else in the room so there's no adjustment needed.
They do have a point here, in a way. But it works both ways. If I'm in a dark(er) environment, e-ink most certainly isn't easier on the eyes unless I bring extra lights. And LCD isn't easier on the eyes in a dark(er) environment unless I turn down the brightness of the screen. On my JE100 I can turn the brightness so low, that it hardly gives out any ambient brightness (I can't light my path with it, for example) and I can read for hours on that. While if I were to use my e-ink and a clip-on light, I'd grow tired of the reflection on my screen.

Quote:
No parallax: Parallax is the apparent displacement of an observed object due to a change in the position of the observer. Text on an E Ink screen does not appear to shift at different viewing angles.
Again, not always true. At least for LCD. If you have a cheap screen, yes. If you have a better quality, no. At least, not noticeable during normal reading experiences.

Quote:
Less glare: All E Ink surfaces are treated to be matte like a printed page. Most LCDs are not, which creates glare and decreases legibility.
Again, not always true. While I do love the matte surface of my readers, I do have the same matte surface on all of my LCD readers. Anti-glare films are a LCD-user's best friend. Not only against glare, but also against scratches...

Quote:
Uniform contrast ratio: The contrast ratio of an LCD varies detectably with viewing angle. E Ink's contrast is uniform, so you can read comfortably at any angle.
See the parallax part. This depends highly on the quality of the screen.

Quote:
No aperture ratio loss: LCDs have tiny black gaps between each pixel, but E Ink screens have 100% aperture ratio. The blacks and whites on an E Ink screen are uniform, improving image quality.
Again, see contrast and parallax. If the pixel density is high enough, you won't see those "black gaps" unless you use a microscope...

Overal, yes, e-ink has the advantage of always being decent on all counts. For LCD you need the better (and more expensive) quality. But to say that e-ink is always better than LCD for reading, I really will never buy that.
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote