View Single Post
Old 07-03-2009, 10:43 PM   #57
radius
Lector minore
radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.radius ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura One, Samsung Galaxy Tab S5e, Google Pixel Slate
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogue_ronin View Post
And I applied thinkjuice (caffeine suspensions) to the problem of epigrams (and pullquotes, too) and realized that blockquotes were the answer. They can contain paragraphs, and CSS will let you do anything that you can do to divs.

ps: I almost went with qs, but they're supposed to be short. Maybe for pullquotes...
That sounds like a good solution and I agree with you in theory. Blockquotes are not only able to contain paragraphs, but in fact are only supposed to contain block level elements (ie: not plain old text). And you should be able to style blockquotes however you like with CSS. However, I find that web browsers seem to have their own ideas about how blockquotes should be presented and my CSS styling efforts don't always give predictable results. I'm guessing that ebook readers will probably end up being the same.

And you shouldn't use plain quotes for the same reason I think a single paragraph isn't enough (because they are just for short, in-line quotes).

For purely semantic storage though, blockquotes sound like a good idea.
radius is offline   Reply With Quote