Thread: Classic Nook 1.5 Update Confirmed
View Single Post
Old 10-18-2010, 07:46 PM   #29
thrawn_aj
quantum mechanic
thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thrawn_aj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook1, Samsung Transform, Nook2
Quote:
Originally Posted by spec View Post
What if B&N library organization sucks to the point people will be saying "I'm glad they didn't do that to My Documents"?
Ha! Good point.
Of course, I can't think of anything you could do to My Docs to make it suck more . At the point, it can only get better.

If the "improved search" can be taken at face value as applying to the entire system (and not just the B&N library), that's probably good enough considering how much angst they've made users go through (seen the B&N forum lately? ) to get these dribbles of mercy.

Annotations/highlights are still broken, the PDF reader remains without a zoom function. I'm not gonna go into any networking stuff because I don't personally think that's a necessary part of an ereader. Being generous, an ereader should be able to find a book easily, display it as it was meant to be seen and allow you to annotate it in a meaningful way. It was 1/3 to this point - perhaps 1.5 will move it up to 2/3. I guess doing serious reading (with exportable annots) on the nook remains a dream for another update

Quote:
Originally Posted by geertm View Post
I like the fact that unlike Amazon B&N has chosen to support books from other bookstores, and I cannot fault them for trying to promote their own bookstore.
You're far more generous than I am . I fault them for it constantly, primarily because I purchased a nook at full price - a price that was on par with other general purpose ereaders on the market not tied to any bookstore. They sold me an ereader, not a B&N subsidized reader for B&N ebooks (like a freaking Apple product). They would be justified in this ham-handed approach to lock-in if they had heavily subsidized their ereader (sorta like cell phone companies subsidize their phones heavily and lock you into 2 year contracts).

If the My docs remain unsearchable after 1.5, I'll officially have lost my patience and it's softroot time (luckily my nook is pre-1003).

Last edited by thrawn_aj; 10-18-2010 at 07:53 PM. Reason: thought of an additional point to add
thrawn_aj is offline   Reply With Quote