View Single Post
Old 09-27-2012, 01:11 AM   #60
HansTWN
Wizard
HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HansTWN ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HP Touchpad, Sony Duo 13, Lumia 920, Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
I guess you're talking about XDA. I disagree that it is hard and that it is made on purpose. The first roots are always not for the faint-hearted because they use exploits that may be difficult to implement by the non-initiated, but a bit later on people package it up in a way that even the most techno-illiterate person could root the device. It's come to the point where you download a file, create a disk image on an SD card (for which you have step-by-step instructions) with that file, and simply boot the device with the SD card inserted. I don't see where the complication lies.

That said, I agree that for people who want the pure Android experience and a tablet with no constraints, the nooks or kindles are not the right choice; if you plan on rooting, you might as well simply go with a Nexus that is by definition unlocked and ready to play with.
Well, the people on XDA are all working for free for the good of all users. We have no right to criticize them when they sometimes get a little impatient with new users and a little superficial when providing instructions. Over time, such instructions are being supplemented by other users and even videos, then the process becomes quite easy.

Once the Nook has been rooted and you can install custom ROMs on it it does seem to be a better deal than the Nexus 7. After all, the Nook has an expansion slot.
HansTWN is offline   Reply With Quote