View Single Post
Old 12-02-2016, 07:23 AM   #2
Notjohn
mostly an observer
Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Notjohn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Well, first of all, I'd lose the PDF unless you're building a fixed-format book with all its limitations. Do you have a Word or OpenOffice Writer document? That would be a good start. Look at the fourth post on my blog notjohnkdp.blogspot.com for the pointers I have collected over the years on that subject.

I think you're on the right track with Sigil, but it does have a learning curve. It's not as easy as throwing a Word doc at the KDP platform and expecting it to fall off as a fully functioning e-book.

There are two TOCs in an e-book. First is the actual (html) TOC at the front of the book. Sigil will build that for you, though personally I don't like the appearance so I build my own. Second is the virtual (NCX) TOC that can be called up as a sidebar on most newer Kindles, Fire tablets, and (I think) Kindle apps. Sigil actually generates that on the fly, from your H1 (H2, H3, H4) headings. All I generally do, toward the end of the process and after I've made any changes in the headings that I'm likely to do, I just go to Tools > Table of Contents > Generate Table of Contents. I glance down the list to make sure it's what I want. I click on OK, and the job is done. Sigil is the best thing that ever happened to self-publishers.

I just upload that epub to the KDP and let it convert there. I hasten to add that I don't do fancy stuff. No drop caps, no media calls, no embedded fonts (and no fixed format). Simple is good.
Notjohn is offline   Reply With Quote