View Single Post
Old 07-12-2014, 08:54 PM   #5
mjlamb
mjlamb began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If not 100%, for now I would appreciate ANY suggestions that will help with ANY Kindle. Surely we do not have to give up on something this important!

My thoughts on your feedback:
1. Yes, I have found that it DOES matter. Really. I have polled readers and found that most either were not aware that they had to back-page or simply assumed that there was nothing worthwhile to back-page for because of where the book opened.
2. You can count on readers of a physical book at least be aware of front matter, and you can draw their attention to important material with a good design. Compare that to a Kindle that dumps the reader into the nether regions of the book so that they do not even know whether previous pages exist.
3. When you say, "Amazon wants the book to open where they want it to open," I have learned that Amazon does not know how to set the Beginning either. I have requested a different Beginning page, and they say they are happy to oblige and have supposedly changed it to that page; but although it then appears to open on that page in all of the emulators, it still does not work in the actual physical Kindles. Their tech support apparently does not have actual Kindles to test with, because they simply do not believe me.

I find this state of affairs to be ludicrous and immensely frustrating -- so again, any tips worth trying would be much appreciated.
mjlamb is offline   Reply With Quote