Thread: JBPatch
View Single Post
Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM   #796
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post
I am working on compiling JBPatch for kindle 3.
Now that is great news! - thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by arikfunke View Post
Apart from some minor syntax changes everything was looking quite good. Now however I have stumbled on a more substantial problem.

Kindle 3 uses Java 1.3 which does not have the class "java.util.LinkedHashMap" which is used in configurableSettings.java. Unfortunately my java skills are insufficient to rewrite this modules.

Can anybody help with this to help extend JBPatch to Kindle 3?
I can't really help with testing it, because I don't have a K3, but I'll do my best to give some advice. After all, I guess I'm the only person who knows JBPatch in and out

So let's start with the advice right now:
- ignore the UI-specific parts for the time being. Just focus on the classes in the jbpatch and jbpatch.bootstrap packages, and try to get these to compile and run. The UI is very "optimized" for the Kindle Touch anyway, so it needs to be rewritten from scratch for the K3.
- ignore all patches as well. Every patch is device-specific by definition, and the K3 would need an entirely new set of patches anyway.
- concerning the LinkedHashMap thing: just use any other Map implementation. (for instance: "extends HashMap" or even better: "extends TreeMap".) The LinkedHashMap is only used because it also provides consistent ordering. (TreeMap would provide the same)

Thanks again for even trying to port this to the K3. A few other people had asked about other device support, but they all quickly ran away when they heard about the effort that it will be.

Last edited by ixtab; 10-11-2012 at 09:29 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote