View Single Post
Old 12-01-2007, 06:37 AM   #9
cstross
Cynic
cstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enoughcstross will become famous soon enough

Device: Lots, started with a Psion 3 circa 1998
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arek_W View Post
Another one, by choice & other factors, I do read in English, but what do UK copyright laws have to do it when I want to get the book in Polish/French/Slovak or whatever of 23 languages we use in EU27? Have to admit, dont even expect anything on this level. I do realize that I made a choice in buying SONY EReader, with all its limitations, but for God sake, world is round and if you want to be in biz, you have to offer solutions.
That's were I miss logic most
I should like to note that the countries you mention -- the EU, basically -- are all subscribers to the Berne convention and the WIPO agreements on copyright. The copyright laws are therefore pretty much standardized.

In general, when discussing translations, something similar to the English language rights split I described earlier applies; the right to publish in a given language and a given region are sold by the author to a given publisher. However, when English language works are translated into another language, the rights sold are generally whole-of-world in that particular language. English is the only language domain I'm aware of where there's the peculiar region-based split (and I suspect the region-based rights split is on the way out, and will be gone within a generation -- but there's a lot of stuff still in print that's been sold that way, so it'll linger for a while).
cstross is offline   Reply With Quote