View Single Post
Old 08-08-2010, 06:00 PM   #92
catsittingstill
Guru
catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.catsittingstill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1.0.8, iPod Touch, Kindle Keyboard
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They do still work, but a date has been set for their abolition - I think it's 2017. You'll really struggle to find any shop, petrol station, etc, who will accept cheques these days. I've only written out 3 cheques in the last year.
I hadn't heard about this (living in the States, and not getting out much :-)

I was thinking up to this point in the conversation that while I don't use checks much, they're my method of choice for sending money through the mail--to pay bills for example.

I was wondering if you could tell me a bit about how this is handled in Britain. Do you just pay all your bills in person at the appropriate office, or is there a form to fill out to pay by debit card that you then send through the mail?

If you're not interested in explaining to yet another clueless foreigner I understand, and it's okay, but I would be interested in learning a bit more about this facet of outside-my-patch-of-country life.