I noticed yesterday that the way the Story treats text (breaking words at the end of a line) also occurs on my iRiver B30 mp3 player -- both in displaying text files on-screen, and in the text-based selection menu in the B30's OS. It seems to just be iRiver's way of doing things, seeing text solely as a string of characters, not as discrete units called words. (It's like a 1970s terminal-based view of handling text, and really should be brought up to date.)
I've been watching out for updates to the "firmware" -- obviously, to no avail. Nothing's been forthcoming. And I suspect there won't be any update now, at least until iRiver has finished readying its new WiFi-enabled models and shipped them off to market.
If you look at iRiver's product history, none of its devices has enjoyed significant ongoing development -- they're generally superseded and replaced within less than a year of their release, and then become abandonware, with no further updates of their operating software. I understand the need for iRiver to maintain a revenue stream, but this is kinda hit-and-run.
I'm a little grumpy, because I discovered yesterday that the B30 (less than six months on the market, less than three months in my possession) has been discontinued, and its software is still in need of significant cleaning up. I anticipate the same thing happening to the Story. If I were a programmer I might try to get into the Story's interface through iRiver's open-source offering, but I don't have those skills. And I don't think I should have to develop them just to see a device I've paid for become fully functional.