View Single Post
Old 06-29-2010, 04:09 AM   #19
toddos
Guru
toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.toddos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nokia Lumia 920 (Freda)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
Will changing the component structure cause problems with upgrades?
Yeah, it probably will. Never mind about splitting up the files into components. You'd have to generate a new guid for each (the "*" guid only works when a component has a single file), you'd have to make sure those guids stayed the same across builds, etc. So a non-starter unless you wanted to manually maintain the 3700 or so files in the installer

The more I look into this, the more it appears that you were right all along and there's not a whole that can be done . The way the Wix UI bits are set up, costing has to complete before you can do anything really useful. I can understand why they went with this approach (costing has to be done before you can show disk usage or feature lists to include in the install), but since Calibre doesn't expose features for users to enable/disable it gets in the way.

One thought is to remove costing from the UI sequence entirely (leaving it in the InstallExecuteSequence). I don't know what impact that would have on the ability to change directories. I'm going to build me a sample MSI and play around with what happens if I turn off UI costing while still trying to use the WIX UI extensions.
toddos is offline   Reply With Quote