View Single Post
Old 06-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #52
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by garygibsonsf View Post
Ah. The link doesn't make sense, however. It says:

"Ordering through Amazon.com today will mean the $189 price becomes £132.70 with Amazon's 70p to the dollar exchange rate. But then a power adaptor will also be needed, adding $19.99 or £14.03, bringing the basic cost up to £146. For shipping, priority international courier seems to be the only option, adding a further £18.93, but that is then reduced by a £10.53 "promotion applied". However an "import fees deposit" of £28.02 brings the final hit on your wallet to just over £183. "

However, as a UK resident, when I go to Amazon.com's kindle page, it flashes up a menu for you to click through if you're wanting to buy a kindle from outside the US. Click on 'united kingdom' and you get (amongst other things):

"Your international shipment is subject to VAT. This is the same VAT rate you pay when you buy products in your country. There are NO customs duties or any other fees [my emphasis]. We will show you the estimated VAT upon checkout."

Mind you, when you click on 'learn more' there's some eye-wateringly confusing stuff about an 'import fees deposit' which might or might not contradict that quote above (the one from Amazon's kindle page). So colour me a touch confused (and I've got a feeling the Inquirer's insistence on including the cost of a charger for an item that can be charged by USB is perhaps unnecessary).
Just go to the ordering process. You can stop right before ordering, and it will show you how much it'll be.

For me, in the Netherlands, it would be (simply the Kindle, no extra products)
Code:
Items:                       EUR 159,82
Shipping & Handling: 	EUR 17,74

Total Before Tax: 	EUR 211,30
Estimated Tax:*		EUR 0,00
Import Fees Deposit 	EUR 33,74
That deposit may or may not be used...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote