View Single Post
Old 06-18-2010, 09:24 AM   #14
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daddy Warpig View Post
So with ComicZeal, either the user has to rename files the programmer's way (otherwise they won't import and sort correctly) or the user has to memorize and use the programmer's idiosyncratic, convoluted method for sorting files on the iPad. In both cases, the user has to mold themselves to the tool.
No, the user is in supposed to use the app for what it's meant to.

You're pounding on the renaming "issue" you have with comiczeal, yet your beloved Cloudreaders don't even ALLOW you to rename or sort your books in the app.

Quote:
Forcing the user to conform to the programmer is the very antithesis of the iPad design philosophy. As Jon Ive said in the introductory iPad video: "I don't have to change myself to fit the product, it fits me."

That's the iPad way. And ComicZeal doesn't conform.

(I'm sure other programs are as bad and probably worse. For example, a couple of games I've downloaded have lots of trouble with the "no right or wrong way to hold it" idea. But just because other programs do it worse, doesn't mean ComicZeal does it well.)
Sounds kinda uptight to me. The "iPad way" or "Apple Way" is still very much a guideline, and not a law to live by.
Does the fact that a game which does not support the "no right or wrong way to hold it"-philosophy mean that the game itself can't be a good game?

I don't think I will enjoy Plants vs Zombies HD more when I can play it in portrait mode... And the fact that you can't play it in portrait mode didn't really affect the sales either.

The whole point of "no wrong or right way" is just meant that when you use the iPad, the iPad will disappear. All that's left will be the thing which engaged you in the first place: the content.
And the prime directive of all apps should be just that: present the content as good as possible. For a book, it's the text. For a comic, it's the comic. For a game, it's the game.
The major attraction will never be the bookshelf, the comicstack, or the high-score card.
athlonkmf is offline   Reply With Quote