View Single Post
Old 06-14-2010, 07:57 PM   #9
Roger Parkinson
Zealot
Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.Roger Parkinson lived happily ever after.

Device: Samsung Galaxy S
Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
But what about radio? Or how about the local stores that play music? I could leave my home right now, walk half a block and find no less than three stores broadcasting music straight into the air---music that I can hear, without paying for it. So am I a criminal?
Around here if a store plays music they owe the publisher a fee. I think it's a fairly trivial amount but store owners are often surprised when asked for it. The reasoning is that if you're using someone's work to enhance your business you ought to pay them for it. The buying of the CD or whatever does not necessarily license you to use it in this way, ie for private use is different, and okay. So no, you're not a criminal, but the store owner might not be squeaky clean, or might be, depends.

I'm not saying I agree with any of this, just explaining how it works here in New Zealand.
Roger Parkinson is offline   Reply With Quote