View Single Post
Old 06-10-2010, 05:47 PM   #35
Spiffy
Groupie
Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Spiffy has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Astak EZ Reader Pro AND Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steven Lake View Post
I guess that whether or not it's inconvenient is in the eye of the beholder. For me, the lack of onboard file management is not an inconvenience, since the only time I'll be managing files is when it's connected to the PC, so lack of a file manager on the device is not a loss for me.
I guess so, but I have to ask how many ebooks you have on the unit at one time.

Maybe I'm the odd one out here, but I have a large percentage of my collection on their all at once.

Before I figured out how to have Calibre shove everything into subdirectories (something the average home user probably won't or can't do) I was, I admit, totally disgusted at having to hit the page down button dozens of times in a row to get to books later in the alphabet.

After figuring out a nice way to have Calibre arrange things (A-Z top level directories, and author specific directories below that), things were much better. But THEN it turns into a game of having to memorize author names corresponding to titles to find what you want.

The latest idea is maybe using the Catalog feature in Calibre, except the two problems there is that a.) it keep crashing when building one b.) I believe its a Catalog of both what I have on the unit AND what I don't, right? Which makes it a bit less convenient.

Anyway, sure there are workarounds for everything, but it would be oh so much easier with that basic file maintenance on the device, including that Favoriting ability (I know the PB360 has that one, for example). I've resorted to using the Buggins firmware (got to be extra careful to find a version which doesn't have an awful battery drain problem), and temporarily copying my "Favorite" books to the built-in storage (keeping a master copy on the SD card).

Still, I can't be the only one annoyed by stuff like this, and not everyone has the wherewithal to find a site like this and fool with all these workarounds. So yeah. The firmware needs to be better. The hardware is golden, in my opinion, as long as you don't get one of the overly Paint-peely versions of the unit.
Spiffy is offline   Reply With Quote