View Single Post
Old 06-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #27
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
A lot of us want less features and a lower price.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
OK, so let me backtrack on any problems I thought I read about the SD mechanism.

Where I am going is that at some point -- maybe 512 MB is enough, or maybe 4 GB is enough, I can't say -- the reader itself doesn't need "more" memory. When it docks with a PC it can "refuel".

I think I am looking for any manufacturing / support savings to either lower the cost of the device or add something extra (additional fonts, more gray scales or wifi perhaps?).

In Toronto, the Astak EB06EZ is the only model available locally and it's almost Can$330 with taxes. That's virtually the same cost, with shipping, of the Kindle 2, a little less if the Astak case is included.
Dear SensualPoet:

I work for Astak and I agree that getting the price lower is needed. I battle this daily.

Factories in China and Taiwan make devices for all the world. They do not build specific to North America. I wish they would. While reading may be largely the same in Hamburg, Germany and in San Jose, California... there are ways that we look at things that are different. I call these perceptions. In the 1960s, the world was not so SMALL. People got use to things the way they were. I remember when I was stationed in Germany that they used levers to open doors. We in the USA used round doorknobs. Light switches in Germany turned on and off by a circular switch. The USA used an up and down switch.

My point is that markets ARE different in different countries. With eBook Readers, largely, it is one device fits all. In each country, people are different. You see your computer as a "refuel" for books on your device. Me, I see it as a "permanent record" but want to carry my whole library with me. Neither one of us is right or wrong.

The big battle is that factories churn out devices. They do not ask Astak, for example, how they should design a device. They say "we have a device now sell it". That can hurt. The factories decide how many features the device has. They may design a new 8 inch device, for example, and put the buttons on the back and add 3G and Touchscreen and a keyboard and notetaking, and TTS, and such. Rarely do they offer a device with or without features. Features decides the price.

Many of us on this forum do not want Touchscreen or 3G or care about a keyboard. We would gladly take it without and save maybe $80. Reality is the factories will build it the way they want to have it.

Now, Astak can and does change it to make it (in our opinion, better) by selling it in colors, offering better support (like on this forum), and opening a new eBook Store to support it. At least with the store we can be different and slowly get it the way the majority of people seem to like it. That is why we love the eBook Store as we can change it radically and do a total redesign and improve functionality and be more open to suggestions. We can be CREATIVE! We can excel by listening better.

With devices we are more limited. I wish we were not; but we are. Now, our new MID (Mobile Internet Device) in 7 inch, when it comes out, it will be a true Astak design. We are controlling that. It is about 70% complete and we think it will be amazing. We do have new eBook Readers coming out too. We are checking out a new Wi-Fi model right now that has a keyboard and notetaking and a lot more. I like it and we can say "this function needs to be improved and this might be better this way"... but basically it will sell as the factory wants to finish it. We cannot say "build it without the keyboard and drop the cost commenserate" as an example.

I can say that Astak is VERY aware of cost and we are trying to get them down. The charge to us is the problem.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote