View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 03:19 PM   #35
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
Steve, I'm really not understanding your hostility here, in comments like "dark little corners" and "where they won't bother us decent folk" and "nasty promoters", or the "who decides what's acceptable?" part.
You're right: That did come out sounding hostile, which wasn't my intention. (In fact, I'm surprised you didn't single out the word "segregation" as well!) It was my intention to question the validity of putting all the "ads" in one place, as not all the posts in question are the same, nor are they necessarily inappropriate for the threads they are presently in.

IOW, there are ads, and there are ads. And given the current layout of the MR forums, I don't see the locations of the ads in existing threads as inappropriate, nor do I see them as being so numerous or pervasive that they merit their own dedicated thread. By that logic, the mods would also need to remove all the Google ads and such to that forum, or some other, so no one would have to see them if they didn't want to.

But to do that, you're defeating the purpose of an ad... the right of an advertiser to have access to their audience (as long as they're not obnoxious about it), and the audience's right to ignore the ad at will. Move "ads" into their own thread, and you no longer have a site with ads... you have the MR Home Shopping Network. Seriously... how many of us are likely to spend much time in that?

So, okay, I'm just saying I don't see the need. That's all. I didn't mean to sound irate about it.

Last edited by Steven Lyle Jordan; 06-04-2010 at 03:22 PM.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote