View Single Post
Old 06-04-2010, 02:30 PM   #33
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
So why do we have forum sections at all? Why don't we just have one big board, and say it's everyone's "responsibility" to ignore posts about Kindle tech support issues if they have iPads, or posts about kittens if they prefer puppies?

Steve, I'm really not understanding your hostility here, in comments like "dark little corners" and "where they won't bother us decent folk" and "nasty promoters", or the "who decides what's acceptable?" part. Nobody's trying to ban or restrict advertising. It's just forum organization. Just like there's a board for just about every other subject -- news, recommendations, all the different kinds of reading devices, assorted software, different ebook formats, feedback, fluff, even one to say hello on -- there should be a board to promote books on. That way people who want to announce their new books will know exactly where to go to announce them, and people who want to look for new books to read will know exactly where to go to find them.

Yes, there will probably be some people who don't want to read book ads who will avoid that board. So? They don't want to read book ads; they're not reading about your book anyway. But there are also people (probably a lot of people) who do want to read book ads, people who want to see what the authors they chat with on MobileRead have just published, or just to get some good weekend reading, and they'll make a beeline for that board and start browsing (genre tags would definitely be a help there).

Having a book promotion forum no more prohibits book advertising than having a Kindle forum prohibits discussion of Kindles.

P.S.

Quote:
it just seems like a blanket punishment of anyone trying to promote a product, and essentially unfair.
So we calibre users are being punished by having a calibre forum?

And I have a Sony Reader; I'm being punished by the Sony forum?

In fact, we're all being punished at this very moment because we're discussing this in the Feedback forum.

Sorry, Steve, but that's not making much sense.

P.P.S.

Quote:
let's face it, this isn't about giving ads an exalted place of honor, easy for people to find... but a way to lock them out of sight and out of mind. It's another way of saying, "Keep yer stinkin' ads away from me!" even when the ads are appropriate to the site, or to the thread
Don't put words in my mouth or thoughts in my head.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 06-04-2010 at 02:38 PM. Reason: added P.P.S.
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote