Thread: iPad what's on your dock..?
View Single Post
Old 05-27-2010, 04:40 PM   #8
Fotoman
Groupie
Fotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it isFotoman knows what time it is

Device: iPad 64GB wifi (Sony 505 RIP)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
You can do that??
(eyeing soon to be opened Japan App Store..)
Yes

Normally you need to have a credit card to open a new US account, but...

If instead of trying to open an account the normal way you just log-off your main account and then go to the US site (just switch to the appropriate flag at the bottom) and attempt to "purchase" a free app, you will then get a slightly different sign-up screen that accepts "No Credit Card" as an option.

You will still need to provide a valid US address but that's easy enough... I happen to use my sister's in Sherman Oaks, but any would do.

That establishes your account and you can use it for free apps. I did this to get a hold of iBooks when I discovered it wasn't included and had to be DL'd.

You can also buy apps easily enough by purchasing one of those preloaded Visas, Amex or Mastercards that are useable worldwide, or a US iTunes gift card.

However, be aware that Apple just recently changed their user agreement (about a week ago) and now you have to explicitly agree to only use the store for the country the device currently is in. So it's possible that my apps purchased in the US store may be in jeopardy at some point in the future. However, I'm not sure how strictly they will enforce this since it means that any US user travelling abroad has to theoretically stop using the US app store and itunes...

It's a grey area so if you don't feel comfortable, don't do it.

It also creates a bit of a hassle since you must update apps from the store you bought them from...hence my need to switch back and forth to manage updates.

Last edited by Fotoman; 05-27-2010 at 04:42 PM.
Fotoman is offline   Reply With Quote