View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 05:08 AM   #4
mogui
eNigma
mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.mogui is no ebook tyro.

Device: HTC G1 Android FBReader
I think these folks are banking on the internet becoming ubiquitous. More commuter vehicles will provide connectivity. More hotels and restaurants will too. If mobile WiMax comes along as we hope it would, connectivity will become much easier for commuters.

I know it feels like a step backward to return to the big-computer-with-dumb-terminals model of computing, but there are some advantages for some people. Companies could centralize their services on one machine, or just buy the services. People wouldn't need to upgrade their computers to enhance productivity. Data security would be enhanced (we would hope) and automated. And one's data and programs could be accessed from anywhere in the civilized world.

For me the Asus EEE would answer a few prayers, but I think I would use such a web-based service too. The last time I traveled to the west, I put my essential data on an online storage service so I could be sure of not losing it if the airline lost my bag, or some other disaster happened. Nivio would be very handy for a traveling writer. Too bad the name sounds like a deodorant.

As for using a remote terminal to my home machine, that would be useful too, providing someone stays home to keep the machine up. We have frequent power failures. When I travel I am usually gone for a month or more.

I do like to use VNC between my machines at home. I have a particular problem though. My ladies like to have a Chinese Windows OS running on their machines. I have to maintain them, but my Chinese literacy is desperately low. I would like to find a remote maintenance console that I could run in English, to manage a Chinese machine. So far, no joy.
mogui is offline   Reply With Quote