View Single Post
Old 08-31-2007, 01:27 AM   #2
DMcCunney
New York Editor
DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DMcCunney ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PalmTX, Pocket eDGe, Alcatel Fierce 4, RCA Viking Pro 10, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by mogui View Post
I can envision a light cheap laptop that only connects to the internet. It has no operating system, but runs a browser from firmware, so it is instant-on. Drivers would provide USB and local audio capability. All of your writing and spreadsheets would be stored on providers' websites where it would be backed-up daily.
All very well, save one issue: what do you do if you don't have net access?

This is why some of the discussion elsewhere about the Foleo bothers me. The idea seems to be that it can connect to the web and use things like Google Docs via the embedded browser, and therefore you don't need a laptop. Sure, if you have a net link. If you are in transit, like on a plane or train, that's less likely, and that's one of the times you want to be able to boot the device and work.

It's also why I find the ASUS EEE much more interesting: bundled apps that can work on local content, so I don't have to be connected to get work done.
______
Dennis
Who is a happy Google Docs user, but considers it a supplement to, not a replacement for, what he currently does.
DMcCunney is offline   Reply With Quote