View Single Post
Old 04-25-2010, 12:02 PM   #133
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
On board an aircraft is, however, the wrong time to question it. Contact the FAA and argue with them about it it - it's their rule, not the airlines'.
And as I said, I don't argue about it on an aircraft. I do however argue about it here as I hate to see the mentality of "the existence of a rule is sufficient justification for it" growing.

In any case, this discussion is largely academic. As I said, in five years we will all be using electronics on planes. Of course, at that time no one will have conducted studies to determine whether doing so is really safe or not. Instead the airlines will be responding to the profit motive.

And if using electronics is really unsafe, the way we will find out about it is through increased crash percentages.

And then you will have a different group of people arguing that using electronics on planes is perfectly safe, after all, the FAA says so, so it must be true.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote