View Single Post
Old 04-20-2010, 02:43 AM   #10
Dave_S
What Title ?
Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dave_S ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Experia Z Ultra
Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
Thanks for replying.

But let me reiterate---I am very familiar with the capabilities of the formats, and the programmer aspects of what is done to present the book.

I am interested in WHY a person PREFERS one format over another, end-user-wise.
I am sorry that I misunderstood your question.

For me, it is not so much that I prefer a particular format as it is that I prefer a particular set of reader capabilities. I have two readers, the 5" PocketPRO (Hanlin V5) and the 6" EZReader (Hanlin V3). On the Hanlin V3 with OpenInkpot, I almost always used EPUB, but on the Hanlin V5, I almost always use FB2. That is mainly because I do not like the default EPUB reading software on the Hanlin V5 (PocketPRO). My Hanlin V5 has very poor contrast compared to my Hanlin V3, and the ability to pick a good contrasty font became more important because of that difference. I also like the ability to have a book status bar at the top of the page if I want it. The FB2 format gives me a much better reading experience on My Hanlin V5. All of the other book format possibilities on my two readers have some drawbacks as compared to FB2 or EPUB.
I sometimes use RTF as an intermediate format when converting between formats, but I have never tried actually reading a novel in that format since it is not really an end use format. For now, I keep all of my books in the FB2 format because it is the most compact when ZIPed, and can be easily converted to another format in the future if necessary.
Dave_S is offline   Reply With Quote