View Single Post
Old 04-19-2010, 04:53 PM   #2
Robertb
Astak Director, Bus. Devl
Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Robertb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO
I feel format is a "choice" thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Starr View Post
I'm confused. I've kept up with most of the entries in this forum and I keep hearing members say they prefer one format over another. I think that is fine, no problem here.

My question is... What IS the differences in the formats?

As a secretarial-trained word-processing expert, when you get text on the screen, (other than non-reflow pdf's), it's pretty much the same.

You can have paragraph indented or extra line between paragraphs. You can change your fonts face and font sizes, you can center your Chapter Headings, etc.

So what is it about the different ebook formats that causes a person to prefer one over the other?

Can someone who is familiar with these provide a comparison to clarify my confusion .

Thanks,
AJ
I have experience with Word Perfect files, txt, rtf, prc/mobi, epub, and of course pdb. I have not had experience with fb2, ereader, lit, ???, ...

Dear AJ:

I think a lot of what we post on this form is just choice. Some people love EPUB as it appears to be the universal format of choice by the IDPF. Some find FB2 to be easier to work with. I will let others post their choices and why. Immediately, to my mind, comes the fact that EPUB gives you 9 font choices and works with Text-To-Speech. Some other formats will also do one or even both... but EPUB is a great start. PDF is little more than a picture of a page hopefully reflowed to fit. It does work with TTS.

I think the nicest thing is that the EZ Reader line has 20-21 formats and there IS a choice.

However, Astak's new eBook Store (www.EZread.com) is ONLY PDF and EPUB to prevent download confusion and the store has the lowest prices. I think that is a plus for these two formats.
Robertb is offline   Reply With Quote