View Single Post
Old 03-09-2010, 09:22 AM   #14
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Originally Posted by awp View Post
Maybe. But it is always safer to follow the specifications. If the OPF specification says that the "title", "identifier" and "language" metadata items are "required", why not include them in any EPUB file?

"Invalid" EPUBs might be accepted by the currently available EPUB readers. But there is no guarantee that they will be accepted by future readers.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not advocating that people ignore the standards on purpose. I just want people to realize that having your book passed by epubcheck is a guarantee of precisely nothing. I think having something like epubcheck does more harm than good, simply because everybody automatically assumes that if you have an EPUB that passes epubcheck's tests, it will work correctly.

epubcheck should have been named epub-schema-check to help make it clear that all it does is validate a few XML schemas.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote