View Single Post
Old 07-17-2007, 11:07 PM   #11
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
I read Lord of the Flies in 7th grade, I think. But now I can't remember if it was a school assignment. I think so. I remember that I didn't "enjoy" it, but I did find it interesting.
My primary objection to it was that we were messed up enough in 9th grade without that thing. I may actually have been able to handle it better in 7th than 9th.

Quote:
Well, I almost compared the main character of Scottish play to Anakin, but I thought the prince of Denmark losing it after his father's death wasn't that far off. Probably ******* is a better choice, though.
Speak not the name!

I can see a bit of the comparison, to Hamlet, but not enough to give it much weight without some serious supporting arguments.

Quote:
But I liked Shakespeare pretty well, even as a kid. Possibly the assigned book I liked least was Kurt Vonnegut's Player Piano. That beat Moby Dick and even Death of a Salesman. I thought it had lots of interesting ideas, but it was just too down-beat for me. I wrote a paper contrasting it with Harlan Ellison's "Repent, Harlequin, said the Tick-Tock Man." I got an A. It helped that my English teacher at the time was well aware of who Harlan Ellison was.
This is hysterical! My wife (who -- for those who may not know -- is finishing up her PhD in Victorian Lit.) and I were discussing this discussion at dinner, and she said things that are very similar to what you're saying, nekokami (just swap the book titles ...) -- Academics! I shall tell you something close to what I told her: Yup, I can see that, but you probably weren't representative of your age group at the time. I wasn't either for that matter, I spend a lot of 6th grade reading Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's collected works.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote